Sunday, March 28, 2010

schnitzel for supper and my duh moment with the breadcrumbs

I went to the grocery store again tonight and used an iPhone app to help me identify gluten free products...its called "is that Gluten free?"  appropriate name...lol....I like it so far.  I bought some Annie's gluten free mac and cheese to try with the kids, Udi white bread..just to see what its like, and lots and lots of veggies.

For supper I fixed schnitzel..very yummy...pork cutlets dredged in flour(I used the white rice flour because it was convenient), then dipped in egg, and then coated with breadcrumbs...and fried...I know, I know...frying is not healthy, but its a traditional family recipe and that's how it works.  So I served it with a big salad and our newfound gluten free salad dressings and slivered almonds in place of croutons...Yummy!!!

Breadcrumbs.....I was at a loss as to what I should do about breadcrumbs because I couldn't find them at the grocery store....so I sliced off two slices of the gluten free bread that I made yesterday.  Here are the steps that I used
-toast the bread really well
-tear into chunks and put into the blender
-pulse until the crumbs are as fine as you want them
-bake in the oven until they are dry enough to use for coating
-season with whatever complements your dish....I used onion powder, salt and pepper

They worked really well!  I plan to make a whole batch of them so that I can let them dry out better and not have to go through all the steps each time I need some bread crumbs.

No comments: