Monday, May 10, 2010

Potty training a princess--warning...contains "potty talk"

Today I started the down and dirty process of potty training my princess.  We have had the basics down for awhile and just haven't done the "cold turkey, no more diapers" part yet.  So when she woke up this morning I told her that she was too big for her princess pullups and mommy had gotten her some "princess panties".  The first words out of her mouth?  "I don't like a princess panties, I don't like a princess panties.  I want my princess pullup I not want a princess panties"  Sigh.  she definitely has a mind of her own.  She was dry though so I just proceeded to carry her to the bathroom and sit her on the toilet.  Way to go...success on our first try of the day. Fast forward an hour.  We are sitting at the dining room table and she announces that she has to go potty(yay for her), but not in time.....flood on my dining room chair...straight through the cushion.  She was NOT HAPPY.  There were many tears and lots of very fast talking about not liking princess panties.  I dried her tears and we picked out another pair of the dreaded princess panties.  She did so good the rest of the afternoon.  I reminded her about every 45 minutes or so. She went on the potty all day.  I did put her in a pullup for nap and she was wet when she woke up, but right back to the panties we went.

Fast forward again...to after supper...Mommy has to go to the store.  I hurried...I really did. When I got back she had pooed in her underwear.  I was just thrilled to be greeted that way.  Ugh.  I cleaned her up with much talk about how we put the poo in the pot.  She was all tears and "I'm sorries"(that's her big thing....great big crocodile tears and I'm sorry over and over).  I had her all cleaned up and was going to deal with the mess and get more offensive princess panties when she FELL IN THE TOILET.  She never forgets to put her little adapter up, but she sure did this time.  A wail that rose the hairs on my neck came from the bathroom and I raced back just in time to see her pulling herself out of the "poopy water"  Can we say early bathtime? and another round of awful princess panties?  LOL....she's doing really good and I'm proud but the next few days are going to be interesting.

1 comment:

Cakeblast said...

lol - what an adventure.. One thing that I think helped us with our son was letting him pick out his own underwear. He was very proud of them and felt really bad when he got Elmo wet or dirty. I'm following you back btw :)